I must confess, I wasn't immediately planning to go to Gloucester as it is too close to an important date which I couldn't afford to miss. Then I managed to get dispensation to go for the Saturday and so, I did. :P With The Honey Badger rebuilt following the events at Stevenage (just barely mind you, the weapons didn't go on until the Friday), I was looking forwards to seeing how well it preformed in the arena with other robots. Like Robots Live!, Extreme Robots have a whiteboard system and all the Featherweights go into a exhibition melee or two for the show. With the two shows scheduled for the Saturday, the Featherweight's has 4 melees.
Stevenage had told me a lot about The Honey Badger 2.0, the biggest thing was the motor mounts were s*^t. So the 1mm thick steel was replaced with 4mm steel and the motor was dropped closer to the base plate, which has the effect of jacking the robot's rear up a little so the tyres can reach the arena floor. The other thing was that softwoods, like pine, were rubbish so I went to Oak crossmembers instead. I know I had originally said Nylon crossmembers but they are going to be saved for something else.
For a whole brief moment, The Honey Badger appears to work brilliantly but it KO'ed itself so this fight really told me very little apart from install a Srimech. In this fight, the flail part of the "flail tail" came off somewhere and the acrylic cover that protects the link came off. The rest of the fights were done without the cover and flail. I really wish that hadn't happened. However, that charge at Mutiny left a mark...
Update: I found a video of the fight recorded by a member of the audience (isn't modern technology wonderful... and ubiquitous). You can see the action that The Honey Badger got up to in the first fight.
After this fight (I think, I am not sure), the rigid part of the flail tail got bent so the extruding part became flat straight, which won't have helped with flipping.
This fight ended with one of the chisels bent, I must have hit something (or something hit me) so hard. They are 4mm steel (same as the drive shaft mounts). I also found a unintended side effect of the 2.1 build in that the flange screws that hold the motors in to the mounts are accessible without dismantling the side panels but are covered by the wheels so they only need removing and the motors can be re-secured a lot easier.
The day was quite fun overall, got to meet robots like BattleAxe, Venator, Mutiny and Luna-Tic and, of course, the fights. The 2.1 variant of The Honey Badger will remain as is for Maidstone (with repairs) and then I'll start work on 2.2 in the new year. However, 2.1 is definitely an improvement over 2.0, it came out of the 4 fights relatively intact and still mobile at the end for 3 of them (in the first fight, a wheel came off). Many thanks to the team behind Mutiny for the Aluminium check plate, I am considering using the pieces for the armour at the front and rebuilding the front cover plate in 2.2.